Sunday, October 20, 2013

Holidaze Hi-C Horror Collection - Series 3


We are only 11 days away from Halloween and, thanks to my hectic schedule, I won't be getting to half of what I was hoping to before the big day.  It sucks, because I really wanted to pack in as much as possible to make up for the season that Hurricane Sandy stole from us last year, but real life and responsibility has been asking too much to devote my time to the fun stuff.  Oh well!  I can't complain too much because, in the end, my life is progressing and, maybe next year, I'll be able to do things I couldn't dream of doing this year.  It's all part of the plan, I guess.  But anyway, I'm back on this fine Sunday with Series 3 of the Holidaze Hi-C Horror Collection!!  As the banner depicts, this set is dedicated to the original Universal Monsters and is entirely retro!  I've had this planned since I first kicked off the collection, so I hope you enjoy what will be the final set of the 2013 Halloween season.

I intentionally avoided being too creative with the flavor names because I wanted these to have a retro feel and, to be honest, they weren't all that creative back in the day.  They were either overly cheesy, or painfully obvious.  Both of which I tried to be with these boxes.  That's not to say they aren't good, because I wouldn't post them if I wasn't proud of my work, but in order to create the right vibe, I went a different route with a few of them.

While I kept the characters in their original black & white form, I wanted the retro Hi-C box to represent them and their flavor in color.

Probably one of the most underrated Universal Monsters, but perfect for this type of project.  The flavor name allowed me to use green and yellow on a juice box and, that alone, is enough to make this one of my favorites.

 I call him Frankenstein, but some of you may call him "Frankenstein's Monster."  You're probably right and I'll take that on the chin, but to avoid any drama or arguments, I paid tribute to the classic "Monster Mash" song and named this "Monster's Mash" to create a Fruit Punch drink.

I love this one.  For this one, I did get a little overly creative with the name, but it came to me and I ran with it.  Between the flavor name and the colors, another underrated Universal Monster can't be missed.  How ironic.
This was the first Universal Monsters box I designed and, in all honesty, it's probably not the best.  It gets the job done and depicts Dracula and his love for blood well enough, but I could have done better.  I was just getting the ball rolling and wanted to use the most famous monster of them all to kick things off.  I'd drink it.

There's just something about purple, white, and black that works perfectly for a Mummy drink.  I don't know why, but I love the way this looks much more than I love the flavor name.  But it rhymed and that works enough for me.
Does a Wolfman drink water like a dog does from a bowl?  I have no idea, but I'm going to say yes.  He must be thirsty after all that howling, so why not sip some Wolfman Water and give yourself some flavor to soothe that sore throat.  See how much logic I have to put behind this to justify my names?
This one is my favorite.  The Bride of Frankenstein is far from my favorite Universal character, but "Something Blue" has been waiting to see the light of day since I first envisioned the juice box and it came out just as I imagined.  If you don't understand the reference, they claim every bride should have "Something borrowed, something blue, something old, and something new."  See the correlation?  Now we have a blueberry flavored Hi-C juice box to celebrate every and all Weddings.  If this were real, I'd expect every bride to walk down the aisle while sipping "Something Blue."

Thanks for reading (especially since I've become a ghost) and continuing to celebrate the season with me.  I wish I could get more out of it, but the next 11 days will probably be just as busy as the last.  I don't even have a costume or any ideas in mind :(  Hopefully you're all having a much more eventful October than my 2nd half has been.  If you have any stories or pictures to share and enhance the season, tweet me @HolidazeBlog.  I'll read them while I pretend to work :)

8 comments:

  1. Great job again, always good to see the classics get some love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing! You are too critical on yourself, I love them all. Kudos and thank you for sharing them with us. Hope you get to enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo, my friend. You've done it again! Excellent job. I also find the Bride to be my favorite. That color palette rocks too.


    And you've better be careful...Hollywood is desperate for fresh ideas. I can see Dr. Lemon Mr. Lime getting the green-light!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the late reply! I've been so busy, but really appreciate the love! I'm glad you like them! Ya never know who will see them and what could become of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely my own worst critic haha but thank you! I'm busy, but trying to enjoy the season. Hope the same can be said for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya gotta support the originals!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job... just re-blogged these along with series 1 & 2 over at my blog, www.ccdblog.com Enjoy the Halloween Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Frederic March 'Dr Jekyll & Mr. Hyde' is not a Universal monster. It was produced by Paramount and later purchased by MGM just before their own version was made with Spencer Tracy. It has never been part of the Universal collection.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...