Thursday, September 15, 2011

Goosebumps Has Returned!


When I was a kid, I absolutely loved Goosebumps.  The logo pictured above was perfectly designed to reel readers in and it was what instantly caught my eye when my class received their Scholastic ordering forms.  I always enjoyed writing more than reading, but the book covers managed to, at least, make me want to read the horrific stories R.L. Stine came up with.  I mean, just take a look at some of these book covers and tell me you don't want to know what terror these pages are filled with!


These covers are still awesome today.  They say not to judge a book by it's cover, but I usually do and, for the most part, I'm usually right.  But when it comes to Goosebumps, everybody should judge the books by their covers because their amazing.  One of my favorite covers was the "Say Cheese and Die" cover.  I just love it.

However, like I said, I was never much of a reader and I don't think I ever made it through a single Goosebumps book.  It's not that I didn't want to, because what I started to read frightened the hell out of me, but I would always zone out.  I'd start to watch TV and look at my Sega Genesis and think, hm, I bet Sonic the Hedgehog could really use my help right about now.  That was it.  The book was closed, dropped, and only picked up again to draw the cover when I was bored.


So what do you do to, once again, attract a lost reader?  Simple.  Make a TV show based off of the books I didn't read.  Once Goosebumps came to Fox, I was hooked and, this time, I stayed put for the entire story.  My favorite episodes were parts one and two of "The Haunted Mask."  I remember my parents buying me the VHS and I watched it so much around this time of year that I memorized the entire script.  I also had an actual haunted mask that looked just a little bit to realistic for my liking.  I was young and way too afraid to put it on for too long so, ultimately, it was thrown out.  I could have sworn it came back from the dead and haunted my closet for a for months after that, but obviously that's impossible...or is it?  Either way, that's but it just goes to show how much I loved Goosebumps.

Then, out of nowhere, it was gone.  When you're a kid, you're unaware of cancellations, contracts and ratings.  All I wanted was my Goosebumps and I couldn't understand why it was no longer on.  Well, now, thanks to The Hub, Goosebumps...is... BACK!!  What a great move by an already great network to resurrect Goosebumps this Fall.  It has already begun to enhance the Halloween season and why wouldn't it?  Listen to the terrifying theme song!  For me, it ranks right up there with the themes from Are You Afraid of the Dark, Halloween and The Exorcist.  Classic!


Ahh, I could listen to it for hours.  If you're as pumped as I am about the recent return of Goosbumps to The Hub, then make sure you check your local listings.  http://www.hubworld.com/tv-schedule  Goosebumps is on every weekday so make sure you don't miss it.  Friday's episode is "The Return of the Mummy."  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. please i am a big fan and i am trying to find the goosebumps haunted mask replica do you know where i could find one i will be forever thankful
    jodie.

    jodie_the_spot@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...