Friday, September 13, 2013

Frute Brute is Back!


As I noted in the Fruity Yummy Mummy review, the legendary Monster Cereals have made their return to store shelves.  On that day, I luckily found Yummy Mummy just as Walgreens received their shipment, but Frute Brute was nowhere to be found and, since, all 5 monsters have alluded me.  I thought that marked the beginning of their return, but it was just a tease.  For as happy as I was to find Yummy Mummy, especially in such an awesome way, I was bummed by going another two-weeks before anything else appeared.  Now, finally, for the first time ever, Frute Brute is mine!


Much like Yummy Mummy, Frute Brute's flavor has been changed since the original last lived.  Also, like Michael Jordan returning with a new number after retirement, Frute Brute has had a name-change.  Once known as "Fruit Brute," the iconic werewolf has returned from what we thought was his extinction and is now cherry flavored.  Because the cereal was discontinued in 1984, three years before I was born, I can't tell you what the original flavor tasted like.  Similar to Fruity Yummy Mummy, the original was an overall fruit flavored cereal and, from what I read, it was extremely popular.  My love for these characters didn't come from their flavors, it was due to their appearance.  I absolutely loved the artistic style and personality applied to these guys and while Frute Brute doesn't look anything like his original incarnation, his reputation precedes him enough for me to overlook his appearance.  I'm willing to overlook the fact that he looks like wolverine.. and Elvis.. and Fonzi.. and John Travolta.  I'm also willing to overlook his snout, especially with the retro boxes on the horizon.



As soon as I opened the box, I was surprised by the smell.  The cherry flavor flies right out of the bag and tingles your neurons.  Yummy Mummy had a healthy scent, as if you were really sniffing oranges, but Frute Brute is sweet, sugary, and seductive.  Yes, I just compared a breakfast cereal to seduction.  That's how good this is.

As for the flavor, I liked this a lot more than Fruity Yummy Mummy.  See, Yummy Mummy is cool because it tastes unlike anything else I've ever had.  The orange flavor is so distinct that you know it's new, different, and unique.  Although Frute Brute isn't anything out of the ordinary, it still manages to separate itself from cereals like Trix and Froot Loops.  It definitely reigns in a league of its own and I thought it was delicious.  Between the two of them, it really comes down to what you're in the mood for on that day and time.  This is why I'm happy they changed the flavors from the original to their new varieties.  Instead of buying two boxes for exactly the same results, we now have two new tastes to dance on our buds as we progress through the Halloween season.  Can't ask for much more from General Mills.


For the first time ever, the legends are together!  I might have mentioned it before, but these two have never been available at the same time.  Years ago, Yummy Mummy screwed over and replaced Frute Brute to make them bitter rivals.  But now, like Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart, the hatchet has been buried and they've made amends to join forces, reunite with their Monster Cereal brethren, and make this Halloween one of, if not the, greatest of all-time!

But, the question remains, what would cereal taste like if we truly did "unite" Frute Brute and Yummy Mummy?  Only one way to find out..



Combining all 5 Monster Cereals has already been dubbed "The Monster Mash," but I don't think I'd like that.  Between the chocolate and four fruit flavors, it just sounds like a waste of highly sought after cereal.  But, bringing Frute Brute and Yummy Mummy together to somewhat recreate what these two might have tasted like in the 80s sounds like a great idea.  However, it needs a name.  Yummy Brute? Fruity Mummy? Classic Crunch? I don't know, I used up all my creativity on the Hi-C Horror Boxes (cheap plug.)  But I can at least tell you what if it's any good!


It's difficult to tell the difference between the two cereals because they both share the same red "ghosts."  But Frute Brute has more of a yellow ghost while Yummy Mummy has orange.  Even though you may not be able to tell them apart visually, you will definitely be able to taste it.  Throwing them both into a bowl was a wonderful idea because, now, I've created more of a "fruit" flavored cereal.  As you're chewing, your tongue goes from orange to cherry and back again all in seconds.  If there was ever an "orange cherry" cereal, this is it.  I doubt this is what the original tasted like, but it may be as close as I'll ever get.  It's worth doing yourself if you buy enough boxes to waste a bowl.  By waste, I mean love.

Next up, the Retro Boxes.  When?  I have no idea.  If Target has given me any indication, probably by Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. This sucks, as I have yet to find ANY Monster Cereals in stores up to this point, let alone the returning ones. I feel like I'm living in a Monster Cereal black hole out here. Someone mail me a box. Please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really odd how they showed up in some places too early, others too late, and others not at all. You'd think General Mills would have had an on-sale date for everyone. Plus, their product locator doesn't work, at least not for the monster cereals. Hopefully you spot them soon, buddy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...