Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Krispy Kreme Ghostbusters Donuts


For the first time since January, I was off from work this past Saturday and couldn't have been more excited for the big day.  Knowing that it was the last Saturday before Halloween, my girlfriend and I wanted to treat it as such in celebration of the amazing season we've had in 2014.  The plan was to hop on the train, make the quick commute to NYC, grab a few Ghostbusters donuts from Krispy Kreme, eat at Jekyll and Hyde's in Times Square, drink at Times Scare afterwards, and enjoy a Haunted House followed by some Scaryoke.  It was quite the endeavor and, thankfully, I can say we pulled it all off without a hitch and it better than a few Halloweens I've had in the past.  It was too much fun to convey in words, but it wouldn't have been half of what it was without our very first stop at NY Penn Station!


When I first heard that Krispy Kreme was releasing a limited-time-only collection of Ghostbusters donuts, I was devastated.  Not because I don't love Ghostbusters, but because I was jealous of so many throughout the country that were going to experience such an awesome novelty that I never would.  I looked at images of the donuts and thought, welp, one of the coolest Halloween products of the season is going to fall by the wayside for this guy.  As far as I knew, the only Krispy Kreme's in my area were down south.  I remember stopping there once in Florida and, of course, always in Las Vegas.  But there aren't any in New Jersey so I might as well avoid all mention of Slimer and Stay Puft before I cry myself to sleep in a marshmallow pillow.  Well, thanks to this news, it motivated me to actually research Krispy Kreme and, little did I know, the closest one to me was less than 30 minutes away in NY Penn Station.  I felt like an idiot for not knowing this all these years, but the embarrassment soon washed away with the Slimer green of envy once I circled the calendar and knew we'd be experiencing Ghostbusters donuts!



You look at images on Instagram and other sites for so long that you start to forget that these are truly real.  It's sad to say, but when I saw these in person, I think I was actually a bit star-struck.  Not in the sense that I was shaking or couldn't speak because that would have been grounds for man-card removal, but that these simple donuts had become larger than life.  Through the power of social media and fell like-minded individuals who share similar interests, these Ghostbusters donuts have taken on a life of their own and truly grown in popularity.  In the last month, I've read countless reviews and have seen more photos of donuts that I ever thought possible.  I know it's silly and maybe childish, but I was legitimately excited to try one of these and share the experience with Eileen.  We'd been talking about them for so long that it was nice to finally see them up-close and personal.  It was about time!



Standing in Penn Station terminal, we must have had 60 people stop and stare at us for taking photos of donuts.  Obviously, they were unaware that these weren't just any donuts, but ecto-plasmic marshmallow donuts!!  These were freakin' Ghostbusters donuts, designed to look like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man and represent Slimer!  Donuts??  DONUTS?? Are you kidding me?  When we talk about The Holidaze, when we talk about going above and beyond, THIS is what we're talking about!  The people behind Ghostbusters and the executives at Krispy Kreme came together and released a product that is second to none.  This is a promotional tie-in done well and celebrates 30 years of Ghostbusters better than anything short of Ecto-Cooler ever will.  Just look at them!  Beautiful!


That face?  That's the face you make when you realize you've been living under a rock and actually have a Krispy Kreme located less than 30 minutes from you and can finally bite down into a Krispy Kreme Ghostbusters donut filled with Stay-Puft Marshmallow Creme!  Yeah.. That's the look of amazement.  Whenever I've gone to Las Vegas, Eileen and I have made sure to stop at Krispy Kreme at bring a box back to the room.  They're always delicious, but I think I forgot just how good they really are.  I've been eating a lot of Dunkin Donuts lately and, for as much as I personally connect with Double D's, I can't deny just how much better Krispy Kreme's donuts are!  Whoa.. It felt like all my taste-buddies were throwing a party and decided to thrown marshmallows at each other.  The donuts are fresh, they're soft, and they're light.  While the design may be what originally sold me, the flavor is what made me come back two days later!


Because we were in the beginning stages of pulling off one hell of a Hallowday last Saturday, we couldn't indulge in more than one donut a piece.  Had we bought a dozen, we would have been lugging the box around all day and night, leading to crushed, stale donuts and wasted money.  We knew all we wanted to do was try them and be happy that we were given the opportunity.  Once we did, we went about our spooky day and had a blast.  But when I got home and woke up on Sunday morning, I had a craving for Krispy Kreme.  By that point, one donut was starting to feel like nothing more than a tease.  But, in all honesty, I was way too hungover and didn't feel like going back to NY for a box of donuts.  But by yesterday, I was convinced and determined to get back over there and bring back a dozen Halloween donuts.  As soon as I finished work, I was heading back over there to bring home a dozen to indulge in as we progressed toward Halloween.  It was goin' down!


For as much as I love Dunkin Donuts, my heart must be shared because Krispy Kreme does Halloween perfectly.  Now, in addition to the already amazing Ghostbusters donuts, we have two Pumpkin, two Webbed, and two Chocolate Glazed with Halloween sprinkles!  Unlike the first go-around, I was going to take my time and savor these donuts.  I wanted to enjoy them, look at them, take pictures of them, and share them with all 7 of my readers.  If I could, I'd reach out and hand one to each and every one of you, but I'd probably eat them before I ever got the chance.  That's how good these Krispy Kreme donuts truly are!



Last year, Yummy Mummy and Frute Brute stole the show and were dubbed the top products of the 2013 Halloween season.  Well, ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to announce that Krispy Kreme Ghostbusters Donuts are the top products for Halloween 2014!!  It's undeniable, Slimer and Stay Puft are the new Tag Team Champions and blew the competition out of the water.  Krispy Kreme wins the game in the clutch by going wayyy wayyy way above and beyond to bring us a piece of our childhood, a piece of nostalgia, in a fresh new way that is to be loved, cherished, and appreciated.  Ya know, I tried to be funny in this post and act as if I almost fainted at the sight of donuts, but let's be serious for a minute.  The reason why I write on The Holidaze, and the reason why you read it, is because we all share a passion for what the seasons have to offer and how that will bring back a memory or relate to the past.  Ghostbusters, for so many of us, represents a simpler time filled with cherished thoughts and memories.  For me, it's a symbol of my childhood and reminds me of watching the movies with my Mom and Dad.  At the end of the day, the little things make all the difference and that's really what Krispy Kreme hit on here.  They took their traditional product and put a nostalgic twist on things for our enjoyment.  Sure, they're just donuts, but what thoughts they bring to mind and how you react to their representation is what separates them from being just donuts.  They're reminders and hopefully, for a lot of you, they're memory creators.


Stay tuned to The Holidaze for more from my Halloween adventure into New York City, including Jekyll & Hyde's and Times Scare!  Until then, find yourself a Krispy Kreme and pick up these unbelievable treats.  There may very well be one closer than you think!!

Also, don't make the same mistake I did and forget to ask about they're donut holes bucket featuring the Ghostbusters logo!!

10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...