Thursday, August 29, 2013

French Toast & Vanilla Cupcake Goldfish


Quick post today and it probably took me longer to design the banner above than it will for you to read this.  But even though I'm clearly in a Halloween mood, I can't let Summer go completely.  With a few "official" weeks left, we're still going to see and do a few things that are clearly related to the Summer 'Daze.  I'd hate to overlook anything in an attempt to speed the spooky months up, so you're going to see a random assortment of posts until I can fully commit to the horrific daze of September and October.


Because I have my eyes set on orange and black, I probably would have missed this new Goldfish variety from Pepperidge Farm.  It was Eileen who spotted these "Grahams French Toast" Goldfish and, at first, I thought she was kidding.  My favorite breakfast in the world is French Toast.  That's all I need.  Smother it in butter and syrup and I'm all set.  I've been like that since I was a kid.  My used to make it for me so often that I would wind up asking to have it for dinner.  In the morning, It's still the only thing I ever order at a New Jersey Diner, Ihop or Perkins.  So, when she told me there was a bag of French Toast flavored Goldfish?  I was pumped!


These are sooo good! Granted, I'm biased, but these are incredible.  They remind me of a few different things but, most notably, I'd compare them to French Toast Crunch.  Discontinued here in the United States, French Toast Crunch was a cereal shaped to look like tiny slices of bread and tasted just like French Toast.  I used to love it!  For a while, it was the only cereal I ate.  There have been similar flavors, like Waffle Crisp and Eggo Maple Syrup, but nothing came close to French Toast Crunch.  That's until these Goldfish came along.  It may not be cereal, but it's close enough to satisfy me at the end of Summer.  For a more precise description, it's like French Toast Crunch meets a Cinnamon Teddy Graham and covers him in all that maple flavored sugar to create the only type of fish this picky eater will ever enjoy.


Once I saw the French Toast variety, I had to take a close look at the shelves to see if there was anything else I may have missed.  Now, this one doesn't say "New" in the upper left corner, but it's new to me and that'll work.  I told Eileen to get this one because, when I think of cupcakes, I think of her.  Not only does she like them, but she bakes the best I've ever had.  They taste delicious and she decorates them perfectly so, of course, it only made sense that we bought these too.  One for her, one for me.  But really, both for me.


I really like the way these Goldfish look.  I love the sprinkles added to make more of a "cupcake" impression.  I took these photos outside yesterday to really make those tiny sprinkles pop.  If you look closely, you'll see the rain drops on my classy paper plate.  But the money is in the flavor and that's where it kinda falls flat.  It's a cross between cake batter and animal crackers, but doesn't hit the landing quite right.  They're good, don't get me wrong, but I don't think the flavor is right.  I'll have to leave that up to my girlfriend.

Now, here's a word of advice from Pepperidge Farm:


Haha, that's so Finny! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, love the banner! And I learned a lot in this post. I didn't know french toast crunch had been discontinued, and I didn't know these flavors of Goldfish crackers existed! French toast is my all-time favorite breakfast, too. Last week I had some for the first time in a long time. Sakes alive! Have you ever reviewed any of the seasonal specialties at places like IHOP? I remember liking their pumpkin pancakes a lot and I think I even got eggnog pancakes one time around Christmas? So looking forward to October! Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the kind compliments! Yeah unfortunately French Toast Crunch was discontinued here in the U.S., but I've seen it available online from Canada so it's still out there. Maybe one day I'll have it shipped for a nostalgic flashback. I've tried the seasonal pancakes before, but never reviewed them. This year, depending of what they're offering, I definitely plan on it. Should be a fun October! Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...