Sunday, January 12, 2014

Chocolate Toast Crunch

My favorite cereal, on a consistent basis, is Cinnamon Toast Crunch.  When it comes to Halloween and Christmas, things change and I fall in love with the seasonal releases, but CTC is my year-round go-to!  So, when I heard that there was a chocolate variety in stores, I had to find it.  It's been a while since I liked a different version of "Toast Crunch," and probably haven't found a hit since the long-gone (except for Canada) French Toast Crunch, but I had high hopes for this one.  Surprisingly, I had no problem finding a box and was ready to get home and give it a whirl.


When it comes to a chocolate flavored Cinnamon Toast Crunch, you don't need to get very fancy with the box.  I like the traditional approach.  They kept part of the logo the same, but added "Chocolate" and colored it, of course, brown.  They also changed the color of their cannibalistic CTC mascots, who are almost as eager to try these real bites of cocoa as I am.  Throw a chocolatey cinnamon swirl in the background and you're good to go.  Now, that's all well and good for a guy like me who loves product design and box art, but what about the flavor?  Itsn't that what truly matters?


One of the things I like so much about Cinnamon Toast Crunch is the size and texture.  The bites are light, yet big enough to take some pretty large spoonfuls to smack your tastebuds in the mouth with a lot of flavor.  I think they're my favorite because they manage to work so well in every way.  Cocoa Puffs and Cap'n Crunch are a close 2nd and 3rd, but always manage to destroy the roof of my mouth.  That's never a problem with CTC and that hasn't changed with Chocolate Toast Crunch.  They're practically the same, but are packed with a chocolate punch that leaves you wanting more.  We've all had many different varieties of chocolate cereal, but this one is different.  The word "toast" is appropriate because there is a toasty flavor combined with a sugary coating of chocolate.  It's very similar to Cocoa Pebbles, but manages to separate itself from the others.


I have a feeling the off-season is going to be dedicated to cereal but, hey, with this many awesome cereals being released, why not?  Poppin' Pebbles was a hit and, now, so is Chocolate Toast Crunch.  I honestly didn't know what to expect from it, but I'm happy it exceeded my own expectations.  It's definitely something I'd buy again and I hope it becomes a main stay because it will be another year-round favorite of mine.  If you like chocolate cereal and want to avoid that damned Chocolate Cap'n Crunch, then this is the cereal for you.

Now go watch Football or the Golden Globes :)

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...