Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Halloween Krispies Treats


I found a box of Halloween Rice Krispies Treats at Rite Aid and, unlike the Monster Treats I attempted to make a few weeks ago, these actually taste good.  Normally, I'd pass up on a box of Rice Krispies Treats.  I love them so much that they never last long so it's usually not worth the seven bucks, but this time I had to make an exception.  Assuming Kelloggs isn't going to release many Halloween themed products this year, I figured this was a good item to pick up.  Sure, as expected, all 40 miniature squares are already gone, but at least I have this cool box to look at for the next month and three days.  That's something..


The package art is cool.  I like the fact that Snap, Crackle and Pop are dressed in Halloween costumes.  Snap seems to be some type of wolf man or scarecrow, Crackle is obviously a clown and I think Pop is going for the dracula look.  That's awesome.  Combined with the haunted house casted in the shadows, surrounded by bats, the candle-lit pumpkin and a frightened cat, this box is spectacular for Halloween.  But, was that enough to make me buy it?  No.. That didn't do it for me.  Had this box been black, orange, purple or green, this would have been an easy decision.  But blue?  So boring.  If it wasn't for the wrappers pictured in Crackle's Trick-or-Treat bag, this box would still be sitting on a shelf in Rite Aid.


With this much orange, I can handle a little blue.  This was, for me, the selling point.  I couldn't wait to see just how horrific these midgit 'Krispie Treats looked wrapped in their orange blankets.  Plus, they're great for Trick-or-Treaters.  Yeah, I know, I ate all of mine so why am I talking about Trick-or-Treaters?  Because, if you're not a glutton like me, then these would be perfect to share.  I wish I would have gotten something like these when I was an 8-year-old.  Instead, some people actually gave me pennies.  Are you serious?  What kid wants a penny?


If you're thinking about buying Halloween Rice Krispies Treats, then you need to know that these things are insanely small.  I could have easily devoured one in one bite, but I usually took two to prolong the happiness.  That's what I'd suggest you do too.

Like I said, the only reason I bought these was because of the box and, more specifically, the wrappers.  This is the Halloween season and I'm looking for things that remind me of the Holidaze as much as possible.  Tiny orange wrappers do just that.  Unfortunately, Kelloggs doesn't release as much as they used to for Halloween.  When I was younger, they used to do a lot more.  So far, all I've seen are the Rice Krispies Treats and Halloween Pop-Tarts.  But what about the cereal?  Just look at what they used to do..


Those five boxes are classic!  Not only did they take their box art to the next level, but they added marshmallows into the mix.  I remember most of these cereals, especially the Kooky Cocoa Krispies with marshmallow ghosts.  Pictured above are the Rice Krispies boxes, but Kelloggs did the same for a number of their cereal brands.   That was when Kelloggs actually did their part to contribute to the Holidaze.  Now they have to persuade me with orange wrappers.  Ah, such a shame.  Maybe next year they'll step it up and bring back their Halloween boxes.  Until then, we'll have to settle on a somewhat acceptable box of Rice Krispies Treats Mini Squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...