Friday, September 12, 2014

Spookylicious Pop-Tarts are Back!


Finally, Target has begun rolling out their Halloween aisles and the spooky season is well underway in retail.  While searching the aisles for new and unique products, I was happy to find an old friend return in 2014.  After last year's unexplained absence, Kellogg's has brought back their Spookylicious Halloween Pop-Tarts!  In a time where we're always looking for the latest and greatest, it's nice to see traditional treats given the respect the deserve!


I remember when the first batch of Halloween Pop-Tarts debuted in 2010.  They were known as "Choc-O-Lantern" Pop-Tarts and it wasn't until the following year that they added the Full Moon sprinkles to join those Ghosts and Spiders to create what we've come to know as "Spookylicious."  Now, Spookylicious Pop-Tarts certainly aren't new to The Holidaze.  I covered them annually in 2011 and 2012, but last year, these were nowhere to be found and it seemed as though they were been discontinued in favor of their Pumpkin Pie variety.  I can't begin to tell you how upset I was.  It's hard to call something that only started 4-years ago a tradition, but Halloween Pop-Tarts were truly becoming a highlight of the season.  The taste, the box art, the pastry design, and the sprinkles work just as well as mood setters as they do deliciousness.  

Perhaps it's due to an uproar from nerdy Halloween bloggers like me, but Spooklylicious Pop-Tarts are back by popular demand!! Needless to say, seeing them back on shelves in 2014 was a mark-out moment for this guy!  Plus, that box art?? Oooh boy, that's the best we've seen yet!  The detail is phenomenal and, somehow, Kellogg's makes that Haunted House actually look inviting.  Maybe it's the Jack-O-Lantern, maybe it's the oversized chunk of Chocolate, or maybe it's the fact that the ferocious owl is distracted by the giant Pop-Tart, rising from last year's grave!  Either way, you just gotta go for it!


Besides the box art, nothing else about these Spookylicious Pop-Tarts has changed and that's a good thing!  Sure, I would have taken a new sprinkle or various icing colors, but I'm not looking to get greedy, here.  Oh no, I'm perfectly content with what we're being offered and I'm just happy it's back, being offered at all.  There's nothing about this appearance that's off-putting.  You have a slab of orange icing, and sprinkles shaped to look like bats, ghosts, and full moons.  How can that ever be a bad thing?  The answer is it can't and I think I'm ready to print this photo out and frame it.  Maybe I'll hang it next to the box art.


Now, the flavor can go one of two ways and it depends on what type of person you are.  If you hate Chocolate, then unfortunately this isn't the treat for you.  Sorry, this Pop-Tart is meant for Chocolate lovers and I just so happen to be one of those people.  When it comes to Pumpkin Pie, I'd probably be the outcast, but with this variety, I'm the target market and Kellogg's hit one right over the Green Monster.  These Frosted Chocolate Fudge Pop-Tarts are amazing and, in my opinion, they're the greatest tasting Pop-Tarts of all-time!  I love S'mores, I love Chocolate Chip, and I love Strawberry Frosted, but nothing comes close to Spooklylicious Pop-Tarts.  If Willy Wonka, as he walked along the Chocolate River, went into a deranged stupor on Halloween night, this is something he'd come up with.  Instead, it was probably just some guy at the Kellogg's factory, but let's all thank him for being a madman in 2010.  If not for you, we wouldn't have these Spookylicious Pop-Tarts, back once again, in 2014!

10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...